Friday 11 February 2011

Into The Wild - Classic Novel And Film

Into the Wild is the 2007 film adapation of the 1996 true-story novel by Jon Krakauer. Starring Emile Hirsch, the film follows the life of real-world adventurer Christopher McCandless. This film was deemed hugely successful and rates 8.2/10 on IMDB. Based on the pursuing of happiness by reaching solitude with nature, the film reaches high emotions throughout, and has lead to popular culturist views and symbolisations of Christopher McCandless' goal in life.

 

This is, without exaggeration, one of the best film's Ive ever seen. Emile Hirsch plays the main part so well throughout the whole film. Once I had finished watching the film, I read up on some background information using Wikipedia, and to some annoyance, found large criticisms on Christopher McCandless' actions, by not bringing a map, compass and even informing someone he is going, which is against all traveller ideals. However, I personally think that, tired of living the conventional lifestyle and not wanting to pursue a career, which according to him, is "an invention of the 20th century", he does what he feels is right and tries to achieve his own personal goals. 
But I guess its just too deep for some critics. 

Following on, the book itself was when this story become popular. Written by Jon Krakauer in 1996, he lengthily describes Christopher McCandless' life and his 2 years of travelling, describing every single one of his adventures. As usual, here are some distinct favourite quotes of mine;

"Happiness, only real when shared"

"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods; there is a rapture on the lonely shore; there is society, where none intrudes. By the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more. "

"What if I were smiling and running into your arms? Would you see then what I see now?"


This was an amazing classic novel. Although I do particularly enjoy similar books filled with adventure, nature and solitude, this did not boost my opinion any further and the sheer quality of this classic novel is of the highest.
Jon Krakaur uses amazing descriptive skills all throughout the novel and the story was delivered so swiftly that I had the clearest image and understanding of every single part and aspect of the novel. What made me appreciate the classic novel even more was when I realised that it was based on a the true story of Christopher McCandless, who, to this day, is seen as heroic to many.
The novel gradually reaches its peak at the end of the novel, and once it climaxes with his ultimate death, I realised that, although it would have been a lot more pleasing to read him fulfill his dream, laying there staring at the clouds, appreciating everything he has always appreciated, is truely the most befitting and penetrative finale.
I favour this classic novel over many of my others. Surprisingly, I saw the film before reading the book, and the book itself was just as good, mainly due to the impact of Krakauer's writing skill throughout. This is a recommend for all, and an even bigger recommend for movie admirers.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard that this book and this film are both excellent. I may have to give it a shot, when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read the novel to this, so i won't comment on it, but i did see the movie, and i thought it was terrible. True or not, they made this man out to be like a Holden Caufield, i.e. some profound individual, who in reality, wasn't... and made terrible choices throughout their life.
    I'm sorry sir, but this is not for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read this. i didnt actually like it though

    ReplyDelete